We’ve all been there: you’re on a first dinner date, you’ve picked the perfect venue (get suggestions here) and everything is teed up to get your swoon on. But – once you’re there, striking up a meaningful conversation and ordering the perfect meal on that initial rendezvous can sometimes take a little prep-work. Before you find yourself having a deer in headlights moment, check out these tips to making your dining experience epic.
When ordering wine, cover the basics. Be sure to ask your date if they’re thinking red or white. That simple piece of info will cut down any potentially intimidating wine lists by half. Also, don’t be scared to ask your server for suggestions; he or she is your best resource to help choose an ideal bottle to complement your meal.
- The Cannonau “Nero Sardo” at In Vino is a delicious red wine and VERY affordable.
- The Tablelands Sauvignon Blanc at Do Hwa is crisp and refreshing on the palate and your wallet.
Share the love AND the appetizers. Ordering a starter (or two) to share with your date lets you know what he or she likes. Perhaps you both share the love of a similar dish – I smell common ground! Splitting a dish also brings a new topic of conversation to the table; describing the flavors can be a very sensual experience. Nab the opportunity to show off your foodie knowledge and you’ll have them eating out of the palm of your hand.
- The very shareable Guacamole from Matilda offers a unique Tuscan spin on the Mexican classic – it’s infused with basil and red pepper, and served with tortilla chips and brick oven roasted focaccia.
- Want to share your whole dinner? Consider Alcala; their tapas menu features small plates that are perfect to split with your dining companion.
Order to your heart’s delight – but let your date’s order be their own personal delight. Unless they specifically asked you to order for them, chances are your date will want to make his/her own decision. Ordering for them could be a bit presumptuous and we know that’s not your style. Also, if you have a favorite menu item, go ahead and tell them about it – and then let them try a bite!
- The Spicy Thai Mussels from Jo’s are absolutely sensational for fans of food with a kick to it. Plus, if your date wants to steal a shell, you’ve got plenty to go around!
- 10 Downing’s daily Gnocchi specials feature the tender potato pillows with a different ingredient pairing so you can have an old favorite while trying something new.
End on a sweet note. Finishing the meal with a sweet indulgence is decadent and the perfect way to end your date. Pick a whimsical dessert to show your fun side and as a bonus, you’ll prolong time spent with your sweetheart.
- For S’mores you can roast over your own fire pit at the table, look no further than Gyu-Kaku.
- The Warm Chocolate Cake at Affaire is served with rich vanilla ice cream – a match made in heaven.
Whatever your perfect dinner date entails, it should always include a reservation booked through Savored. You’ll get 30% off your entire check at the hottest restaurants with discrete discounting (and no cheesy coupons). Or even book a Savored Signature with a prearranged menu designed to expand your dining horizons. Either way, follow these tips, remember to always tip your servers, and you’ll be well on your way to date night success!